Chapter 1: The values and principles of the UK
Chapter 2: What is the UK?
Chapter 3: A long and illustrious history
In this chapter you will learn about British history starting from the Stone Age. The beginning focuses on arriving populations which affected the language and religions of Britain. After that the focus is on the development of the Monarchy, church and Parliament. Major battles and significant periods are covered, including the civil war, the industrial revolution and the Empire. There is a lot of information about WWI and WWII and after WWII the chapter focuses on the governments of the UK and devolution in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
Make sure that you understand the relationship between the monarchy and Parliament, Protestants and Catholics and Britain and the colonies of the Empire. Think about how the right to vote developed. You should also make sure you know about each of the people described. You will need to know about the Acts of Parliament and other major events. You should make sure that you know all of the dates given in this chapter.
IN THIS CHAPTER THERE IS INFORMATION ABOUT:
- The history of early Britain
- The medieval period
- The Tudor and Stuart monarchs of the UK
- The establishment of Parliament
- The unification of the United Kingdom
- The Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution
- The Victorian Age and the British Empire
- The First World War
- The Great Depression
- The Second World War
- Britain since 1945 and the welfare state
- Great British inventions and sporting figures
- Government since the Second World War